Stir Fry Beef with Spicy Hoisin Sauce
Hot and spicy food like this bowl of hoisin stir fry beef is something I can eat all day long. I guess you can say I am particular when it comes to the kind of heat I like in my food. For example, I am not keen on Szechuan peppercorns as I don’t like the tongue numbing effect they give and the fact that my drink of water ends up tasting like metallic seltzer.
But give me the incendiary, mouth on fire heat of Thai chilies any day and I will cover my food with them. Thankfully, my husband likes it very spicy too so whenever we order or cook South East Asian food, we go 100% ablaze.
But ordering good Chinese food where we live can be a little expensive and sometimes disappointing. What I mean is paying $50 for four dishes that taste bland; this makes for one sad dinner and a movie night! Because this situation unfortunately happens a lot, I have been cooking more Chinese dishes at home. Call me penny-pinching but when I think of the cost of a simple dish like sesame chicken, I prefer to make it at home for 1/3 of the price rather than be served something that will probably need seasoning. If only every dish could be as well seasoned as this hoisin stir fry beef… Oh man…
This stir fry beef recipe is a favorite of mine because it has everything; sweet, vinegary, spicy and savory. Tender marinated pieces of beef served with peppers and scallion and tossed in a hoisin miso sauce. All that yummy brown sauce drizzled over virgin white rice acting as a sponge and absorbing every last bit of flavor…
Now that’s what I call a great stir fry beef recipe packed with authentic Chinese Flavors!
Most stir fries don’t require the meat to marinate but this stir fry beef recipe takes the art to a new level. Sharp and salty flavors are injected into the meat while a sweet and savory sauce coats its exterior – it’s quite amazing. My version has Thai chiles but you can swap them for your favorite type; jalapeno, dry red chiles or even peppercorns. The choice is yours, make it the way you like it and make sure you make enough beef stir fry for leftovers.
I promise you’ll come back for seconds, in seconds.
- ½lb lean beef, thinly sliced bite size
- 1 red bell bepper, core and seeded, sliced into thin strips (julienne)
- 4 scallions, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Thai chiles, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp white miso paste
- For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp dark soy
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- - Put all the ingredient for the marinade in a bowl with the beef. Mix well and set aside for 30 minutes.
- - In a medium size pan over high heat, add oil, garlic and chiles and cook for 1 minute.
- - Add beef and cook for 3 minutes.
- - Add pepper and scallions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- - Turn the heat off, add hoisin sauce and miso paste, stir well until paste has dissolved.
- - Serve hoisin stir fry beef hot.