Bring authentic Korean barbecue flavors to your home with this easy and very delicious chicken bulgogi with cabbage recipe!
Chicken Bulgogi With Cabbage
I love Korean barbecue. Although I don’t eat it very often, it’s one of my favorite ways to spend a dinner out with friends. I love the whole experience of sharing and cooking meats, vegetables and seafood over a grill while sipping on a cold beer and having fun conversations. Every time I have Korean barbecue with my friends we end up having the best time ever!
Being able to replicate the flavors of the marinade at home is something I’ve tried to do a few times with not much success. The sauce would come out too sweet or salty and didn’t have that authentic Korean barbecue flavor I’ve come to love so much! Then last week I was browsing the net looking at bulgogi recipes and thought I would give that a try. Maybe a good chicken bulgogi recipe would hit the spot and bring me exactly the flavors I’ve been searching for – and to my delight it did!
This chicken bulgogi recipe is a mix of three recipes I found online. They all looked delicious so I decided to borrow a little from each one and am very happy with the result! Wowow!
I added cabbage to my recipe because I think it pairs beautifully with meats. Especially meats that have a sweet and smoky taste and are filled with umami, just like this chicken bulgogi. Since I don’t have a barbecue (nor a backyard), I used a grill pan to cook the chicken and cabbage to get a slightly charred flavor. Plus, grill marks make everything look more delicious!
I served the chicken bulgogi and cabbage on a bed of rice with kimchi on the side. Honestly, it tasted better than some of the bulgogi meats I’ve had in Korean restaurants. Mind blown!
I’ve marinated the meat for 2 hours and have also left it overnight and didn’t notice much of a difference in taste. The chicken didn’t seem to be more intense in flavor, which is good news since it means we can eat it sooner! The chicken was so good we ate it two nights in a row and could’ve had it a third time. This recipe is definitely a keeper!
Other easy Korean recipes:
- Japchae (Korean glass noodles)
- Kimchi pancake
- Korean sticky chicken
- Spicy chilled Korean noodles
- Korean chicken wings
Did you like this Chicken Bulgogi With Cabbage Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share?
- 1 pound boneless chicken thigh or breast
- 1 cup cabbage, roughly chopped
- For the marinade
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons gochujang (Korean chili paste) optional
- 1 tablespoon mirin or rice wine
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and grated
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Cut chicken into 2-inch pieces and trim off excess fat. Set aside.
- Put all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and whisk until sugar has dissolved.
- Add chicken to the bowl or transfer chicken and marinade in a Ziploc bag. Refrigerate and let marinate for at least 2 hours (or overnight).
- Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium heat and add cabbage and chicken, reserving the marinade on the side. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and add a splash of marinade (1-2 tablespoons) whenever the pan dries up.
- Transfer to a plate and serve with rice, lettuce and/or kimchi.