Baked hoisin chicken drumsticks glazed with a sweet and tangy hoisin sauce that’s finger licking good – simple, easy and the perfect companion to a bowl of steamed white rice!
Hoisin Chicken with Pickled Cucumber Salad
You guys, this dish was very hard to shoot.
Between constantly licking our fingers and resisting the urge to devour what smelled like the best chicken dish ever, it’s a miracle we were able to get through the shoot at all! Sticky, sweet, tangy and smoky hoisin chicken drumsticks served on a bed of white rice and crunchy pickled cucumbers… It doesn’t get much better than that.
The preparation is very simple: blend hoisin sauce with a mix of savory, acidic and spicy ingredients to give it depth of flavor, and brush it on the drumsticks. Bake for half an hour and finish by broiling (or grilling) for a few minutes to add color. Voila! Beautiful hoisin chicken ready to be eaten!
I’m serving these beautiful golden brown hoisin chicken pieces with a quick pickled cucumber and shallot salad. This brightens up the flavors and adds variation in texture and color. To me, the perfect bite is a scoop of white rice topped with chicken and a small piece of cucumber or shallot. Heaven on a spoon!
You can make this dish ahead of time and keep it refrigerated until dinner time. Or you can save some for tomorrow’s lunch and make your entire office jealous!
Other yummy chicken recipes:
- Long life kung pao chicken
- Thai basil chicken
- Moo goo gai pan
- Easy broccoli and chicken stir fry
- Empress chicken
Did you like this Hoisin Chicken with Pickled Cucumber Salad Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!
- For the chicken:
- 1½ - 2 pound chicken drumsticks
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb size ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 1½ tbsp rice wine vinegar
- For the salad:
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 English cucumber, finely sliced
- 1 large shallot, finely sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Put chicken drumsticks in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Put hoisin sauce, scallions, garlic, ginger, sriracha sauce, lime juice and rice wine vinegar in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour half of the sauce on top of the drumsticks and reserve the other half for later.
- Let the chicken marinade for 20 minutes.
- Line a cooking tray with non stick foil and lay chicken drumsticks on top. Brush sauce on top (from the marinade, NOT the reserved sauce) and bake for 15 minutes. Take the tray out of the oven, turn the drumsticks over and brush with sauce again. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil, brush a little more sauce on the chicken and broil on each side for 3-5 minutes, until the skin is golden brown. Alternatively, you can transfer the chicken drumsticks on to a grill pan and grill each side for a few minutes, until charred marks appear.
- Put cucumber and shallot in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small pan over medium heat, add rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt and cook until sugar has melted (about 2 minutes). Pour sauce over the cucumber and shallot and toss to coat evenly.
- Serve hoisin chicken with reserved hoisin sauce, to use as a dipping sauce. Top with cilantro and a small handful of pickled cucumber salad.
- Serve with white rice.
High in selenium