Put dinner on the table in 15 minutes with this smoky Salmon Tikka Over Quinoa Recipe, served with a cooling cucumber raita!
Salmon Tikka Over Quinoa
It’s fair to say that I’m a curry fanatic. Whether we’re talking about a spicy and sweet Thai curry, a savory and soothing Japanese curry, or a volcanic Jamaican curry – I’m pretty much powerless to the myriad spice combinations at play in any curry preparation. So, no shock that I absolutely loved and devoured this salmon tikka recipe. However, what did come as a surprise was how easy it was to prepare this healthy piece of salmon. It had such developed and assertive flavors, that I thought I may have forgotten to write down a flavorful step in the cooking process. It’s not often that so few steps in the kitchen result in a dish with such a distinct palate. Seriously, I practically said, “yum,” after each luscious bite!
The simple secret to making this salmon tikka preparation really sing is a 30 minute marinade in curry paste. Yep – that’s about it. I used a store bought jar of Patak’s curry paste – and let my salmon fillets soak up all the fragrant goodness until I was ready to hit the sauté pan. How often do I allow a store bought, pre-packaged ingredient do its thing unadulterated in my kitchen? Not very often at all! But this is one of those rare ingredients that delivers on its implied promise of flavor.
A bed of fluffy quinoa is the perfect grain to accompany this salmon tikka recipe. The nuttiness and texture of this superfood lent cohesion to the dish as a whole. And if you’re wondering how to cook quinoa, don’t sweat it – I got you! I won’t bore you here… The healthy greatness of quinoa is well documented on the internet. However, health benefits aside, this salmon tikka over quinoa really packs a ton of flavor in the guise of a super simple recipe.
Just a dollop of creamy yogurt and cucumber raita was the proverbial icing on the cake of this luscious salmon tikka recipe. Raita can cool things down in a spicy dish. Ben and I were sitting at the kitchen island, forks in hand, devouring these curry infused salmon fillets as soon as they came out of the pan. Delish! And since curry comes in many forms and preparations, I can’t wait to experiment with even more international curry dishes in the near future! What’s your favorite curry recipe? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
Other simple, delicious salmon recipes:
- Salmon Croquettes With Dill and Sriracha Dip
- Miso Salmon With Sesame Bok Choy
- Salmon en Papillote
- Honey Sriracha Oven Baked Salmon
- Salmon en Croute
Did you like this Salmon Tikka Over Quinoa Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!
- 1 pound boneless salmon (2 half-pound fillets)
- 2 tablespoons curry paste (I use Patak’s)
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped bite size
- 1 tablespoon dill leaves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Lemon wedges to serve (optional)
- Put salmon and curry paste in a Ziploc bag and massage until salmon is well coated. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put yogurt, cucumber, dill and kosher salt in a bowl and mix well. Set aside or refrigerate until it’s time to use.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, add oil and evenly coat the cooking surface. Add salmon and top it with what’s left of the curry paste from the bag. Cook on each side for 2 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Divide quinoa among two bowls and top with salmon and yogurt sauce.
- Serve with lemon wedges (optional)
Low in sugar
Very high in magnesium
Very high in phosphorus
High in selenium