Thai shrimp and cucumber salad
Poutine and a smoked meat sandwich on Saturday night (pub food for hockey), and fried zucchini sticks with pasta a la vodka on Sunday at our favorite cozy Italian restaurant made me feel a little thick around the waist by Monday morning. Luckily, I rarely let myself eat greasy foods for more than two days in a row not only because I don’t like to feel out of shape, but also because my body has come to crave light rather than heavy. It’s the difference between sitting on the couch all day eating Cheetos versus going for a long walk and drinking a cup of tea. I prefer the latter one.
In the previous post (spicy mango apple salad) I mentioned that not all Thai dishes are complicated to make, and this statement holds true for this shrimp and cucumber salad as well. These quick and healthy salads are excellent diet weapons to have in your recipe box because they take little time to make and taste so good. This shrimp and cucumber salad is low in fat and calories and did you know that hot chilis speed up metabolism and burn fat? The ideal diet weapon!
Spicy food also makes me feel full faster and gives me loads of energy. There’s nothing better than to walk away from a meal feeling like you have filled your body and mind with good and nutritious foods. Something happens when you do this on a regular basis; you begin to see food as blocks of yummy vitamins there to fuel and care for your body. Each ingredient used in a recipe now has a purpose other than just tasting good.
Whenever I make this shrimp and cucumber salad I think anti aging (shrimp) and fat burning (chilis), and the fact that I can eat lots of it without worrying too much about calorie intake is always a plus. You can pour this salad over rice and it would be enough to keep you full for a few hours. This salad can also keep in the fridge overnight, though I would suggest keeping the tomato slices separate from the salad as they will water down the flavors.
- 8 raw jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped bite size
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 small tomato, chopped bite size
- 2 lettuce leaves (optional), shredded by hand
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- For the dressing:
- 2 thai chilies
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- Bring a small pot of water to boil and cook the shrimp for 3 minutes.
- Drain and pat the shrimp dry with paper towel. Refrigerate to cool.
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Put all the ingredients for the salad in a bowl, including the shrimp and pour the dressing over.
- Toss well and serve cold.