This is a vegan recipe for dan dan noodles you won’t be able to stop eating! Chopped mushrooms replace the ground meat and bring earthiness to this spicy, nutty and tangy noodle dish. It’s yummy!
Vegan Dan Dan Noodles
Sometimes vegan tastes better than meat. I know, it sounds crazy but the more I cook vegan dishes and the more I realize that sometimes indeed, certain dishes are just better without meat. Such is the case of these vegan dan dan noodles! Finely chopped mushrooms replace the usual ground meat found in this dish. They lighten it, give it earthiness and turn this bowl of spicy noodles into a super nutritious meal!
Mushrooms are packed with goodness: they are high in vitamin D, which is essential for bone health, and are great at boosting the immune system. They are also very high in antioxidant properties, which fights against free radicals (fine lines and wrinkles), and can protect against different types of cancers such as prostate, skin, gastric and colon.
For these vegan dan dan noodles, I’ve mixed finely chopped button mushrooms and celery and stir fried the mixture until tender and almost caramelized. The texture is so similar to ground meat you will find it hard to believe you are actually eating vegetables!
Mixing this warm mixture with a handful of baby spinach makes the leaves wilt just enough that they don’t get soggy or watery. Noodles, mushrooms and spinach are tossed in a nutty, spicy, acidic, sweet and salty sauce to create vegan dan dan noodles that are quite spectacular!
Serve these vegan dan dan noodles as a main or a side. They taste their best when made fresh but are still delicious cold (after being refrigerate) or zapped for a few seconds in the microwave.
Other easy and delicious vegan dishes:
- Vegan butternut squash soup
- Detox crock pot vegetable soup
- Cold Asian noodle salad
- Healthy red potato salad
- Vegan lentil soup
Did you like this Vegan Dan Dan Noodles Recipe? Are there changes you made that you would like to share? Share your tips and recommendations in the comments section below!
- 8oz thin spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 9oz white button mushrooms, finely chopped (similar to ground beef)
- Handful baby spinach
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot chili oil (or less if you don't like it too spicy)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 2½ teaspoons sugar
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add spaghetti and cook for 8-9 minutes, until al dente. Drain, rinse under cold water, drain again and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a pan over high heat, add peanut oil, celery and mushrooms and cook for 8-10 minutes, until mushrooms are beginning to turn a golden brown color. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Put all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Add sauce to the spaghetti and toss until the noodles are evenly coated. Season with salt until you are satisfied with the taste.
- Add mushroom mix and spinach to the noodles and toss well. Serve.
High in selenium
Very high in vitamin B6
More Yummy Vegan Recipes: