Watermelon, Strawberry and Tomatillo Salad
This is one seriously healthy and incredibly yummy watermelon, strawberry and tomatillo salad! I fell in love with it as soon as I was done chopping and tossing the ingredients – it’s sweet, tangy and tart and feels so crisp and cleansing. I’m telling you, if you are looking for a bright, feel good salad this weekend, this is the salad for you!
With the weather gradually getting warmer, our bodies come to crave high water content foods. What better than to serve this watermelon, strawberry and tomatillo salad to replenish your fluids! It’s not only delicious, it also only takes 10 minutes to make from start to finish!
It’s the perfect salad to bring to a barbecue or a summer cocktail party because of its vibrant and sexy colors. The tomatillos (Mexican green tomatoes) add tartness which balances the sweetness of the watermelon and strawberries to perfection. It looks gorgeous next to baby back ribs, pairs beautifully with a vegetable ricotta pie and makes a delicious topping for roasted pork belly bites.
- 3 cups watermelon (about 1 pound), rind and seeds removed, chopped bite size
- 8 strawberries, hulled and chopped bite size
- 1 heaping cup tomatillos (about 4-5 small tomatillos), chopped bite size
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 12 mint leaves, shredded
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Put watermelon, strawberries, tomatillo and shallots in a bowl and gently toss.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar and gently toss once more.
- Sprinkle black pepper and top with mint.
- Season with a little salt and serve immediately.